Monday, April 5, 2010

First Years - napowrimo #5

I am called by poetry's name when I need room to crawl
and explore: dust-maker and wordy-escape.
She twists the edges of hair strands, saws at my fingernails,
begging to be born.
When I nurture her with milky white paper and fruity-smelling
pens, she stops out of fear. She pauses like a cat, cautious
and self-conscious.
After a moment of strategy like first time shoelace tying,
she sighs in relief, and sends windy words down my throat,
they just appear like seeds.
Almost finished, she wants to dress the wicker shelf
like autumn leaves and scattered soil. Afraid
to be jumped in, laughed with, and picked up.
Dust-maker you are;
poetry, you gather dust like apples,
creating your shelter,
escaping from words.

9 comments:

  1. I like it. Gives a lovely poetic feel to the fact that my poetry's all on the computer and the dust's all on the desk below it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "she wants to dress the wicker shelf": vivid =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a wonderful point of view... file and forget

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice imagery....nicely done and thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  5. "When I nurture her with milky white paper" is a beautiful image! Great work

    ReplyDelete
  6. Richelle,
    I love this! And this is beautiful!
    "When I nurture her with milky white paper and fruity-smelling
    pens, she stops out of fear. She pauses like a cat, cautious
    and self-conscious."

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'like first time shoelace tying' perfectly describes the process of writing a poem for me, and it never gets any easier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicate yet petulant child. Love it!

    ReplyDelete