Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lover, Best Friend, Brother

First day I saw you, you walked in black like panthers,
claws tucked inward, eyes a beautiful sorry sag
like the mother's breast; I'm sorry you lost her
so I'm trying to love you better at all times,
especially when your mouth gets dry & sandy,
becoming a cushion for flies.
I want to turn into clay with you,
stop time like music on our very own road trip.
The first time my heart became a wheel,
well it was with you.
Loving never felt so skinned,
everything peeled off, nothing mattered
but you:

6 comments:

  1. Richelle,
    This is such a beautiful poem! Thanks for commenting on my post.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pamela! And thank you for your kind words regarding my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I want to turn into clay with you" and "The first time my heart became a wheel..." gorgeous work! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am starting to think of you as the Poet Laureate of Seton Hall. This reminds me of so many things, it's absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Good stuff. Love the "heart became a wheel" part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'One of your best, I think. 'Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

    Btw, I really like your sidebar links - 'nice addition. And yay for aspca and wwf -- and siren. :)

    ReplyDelete